Gato & Andrea's workshops have been well attended; The next and last workshop will finish the work we started on milonga. The Video of the Week features a summary of their Milonga class last week. The class starts at 7:30, (a chance to eat early), ends at 9 p.m. (a chance to practice after class and make arrangements to join the trip to Buenos Aires).
Nov. 6 at the Gallo Center: Tango Buenos Aires has taken the world by storm with fast-paced rhythms and flawless coordination. The ensemble, cream of Argentine tango, includes 12 dancers, six musicians, a singer, dazzling costumes and provocative choreography - a show we all want to catch, Tickets are on sale, a reasonable $30 top for box seats. Order on line from http://galloarts.org. This also is a chance to spread word of Modesto Tango. We want volunteers at the exits as people leave, passing out cards advising of our existence. If able to help, contact me.
From Ed Loomis: Did you know? The symbol for silver, "Ag," reflects the Latin name for the element argentum. That Latin term puts the luster in "argentiferous" and is also an ancestor of "argent", a word once used to refer to the metal silver The country of Argentina owes its name to "argentum," as well. (c) 2007 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated.
Ed's class last Saturday focused on musicality. We will see more of Ed in the future. Next Saturday Peter, our historian, returns to teach for the month of November.
WORKSHOP INFO: The level is low intermediate to intermediate.
Tango Masters Hugo "Gato" Valdez & Andrea Monti
Fees : 1 or 2 workshops: $30 each per person
3 or 4 workshops : $27 each,
5 or 6 workshops : $25 each
7 or 8 workshops : $22 each per person
All classes: Mondays: 7:30 to 9 p.m.
Jacobs Fine Dining: 2501 McHenry Ave., Modesto
Class 1: Sept. 10 : Patterns and figures in close embrace.
Class 2: Sept. 17 : Patterns in close embrace (second part).
Class 3: Sept 24 : Resources for the dance floor.
Class 4: Oct 1: Pauses & Sacadas.
Class 5: Oct. 8: Turns and voleos.
Class 6: Oct. 15: Turns, voleos, stops and embellishments.
Class 7: Oct. 22 : (Last Week) Milonga 1 Beginning, rhythm, basic steps.
Class 8: Oct. 29: (Tonight) Milonga 2 Easy and playful patterns. Links and combinations.
contact: Mary, 522-1571 or e-mail: email@example.com
CALENDAR FOR THE WEEK
MONDAY - Tonight. Oct 29: Gato & Andrea workshop at Jacobs, 2501 McHenry, Tonight's lesson: Milonga - part 2. See you there. Come early to eat.
SATURDAY - (Nov. 3): Classes at Modesto Fitness and Racquet Club.
200 Norwegian, off McHenry. Peter Baldridge teaching.
11 a.m. Intermediate -
12:30 - beginning level. Intermediates encouraged to stay for the beginner class at no additional fee. Take this opportunity to perfect your technique. $12 a class per person. Introductory packages available for newcomers which offer nine beginner level classes for $75 (can only be used as the beginner level.)
Modesto Tango is a non-profit association of tango aficionados dedicated to sharing the artistic, cultural and social aspects of Argentine Tango in Stanislaus County. To discontinue receiving this bulletin go to <http://groups.google.com/group/Modesto-Tango/subscribe>
OUT OF TOWN: Some expressed interest in these. To carpool call 522-1571.
Emeryville @ Allegro Ballroom : 5855 Christie Ave.,
7:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.: Beg Lev $12
8:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.: Int Lev $12
9:30 p.m.-10:30 p.m.: Practica $6 (Free with class) Ongoing -
At Tango by the River, 128 J Street Old Sacramento : Tuesday nights.
Level I - Beginning Tango - 6:30-7:30 p.m.
Learn the fundamentals, the walk, basic steps, posture.
Level II - Intermediate Tango - 7:30-8:30 p.m.
Ochos and how to apply all steps into the social setting.
Level III - Intermediate/Advanced Tango - 8:30-9:30 p.m.
Changes every month.
These classes will get you on your way to dancing Argentine Tango socially.
Classes taught by Donna Williams and Zak Brown. Cost is $50 per person.
Ed Loomis & Rebeca Basave teach "Tango: Outside the Box"
7:00 to 8:30, Level 2 followed by a práctica from 8:30 to 10 p.m.
Contact Donna at 916-443-7008 or firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
MILONGAS: Modesto's next is Saturday, Jan. 19, 2008. Mark your calendars.
@>---- ! ***NEW*** - TUESDAY NIGHT DINNER MILONGA
CERVANTES TAPAS & ITALIAN BISTRO - 1119 21st St (between K & L)
Every Tuesday Night 6:30 p.m. - 9 p.m.
Thursday: La Mariposa Milonga/Verdi Club -
*2424 Mariposa Streeet, San Francisco, CA
UPCOMING TANGO TOURS TO BUENOS AIRES:
Gato & Andrea will take our Modesto group to Buenos Aires
July 12-25th 2008 - their winter. They need at least eight commitments by the end of October.
Cost: $1500 per person without air fares if registered in the first period,
$1650 for the people who register later. See below:
Must be confirmed or changed by October 29th, their last class in Modesto.
Departure date: July 11th / Arrival in Buenos Aires: July 12th
Departure from Buenos Aires: July 25th / Arrival in destination: July 26th
How to register
1. Fill in the registration form, sent to each person who requests it by e-mail to us email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org in order to register.
2. The second step is the deposit to book the trip.
First period: $1500 per person without air fares
Deposit: $400 per person paid directly to Gato and Andrea while they teach in Modesto during October (cash is appreciated and receipts will be given) or by bank deposit before January 31st, 2008.
2nd payment: $600 per person (cash) paid directly to Gato and Andrea while teaching in Modesto up to March 20th 2008 (receipt will be given)
3rd payment: $500 per person paid by bank deposit to Gato and Andrea to May 31.
Second period (late registration): $1650 per person without air fares
Deposit: $650 per person (cash) paid directly to Gato and Andrea while teaching in Modesto from February 1st to March 31st 2008 (receipt will be given).
Balance: $1000 per person paid by bank deposit to Gato and Andrea up to May 31.
More details at www.tour-tango.com.ar Click "Comments" button in our website to read what other people who have come with us to BA think about our trip!)
If you have any questions : www.gatotango.com
The package includes :
1. Transfers from Ezeiza Airport to La Casita de San Telmo & back.
2. 13 nights accommodation in a marvelous tango guest house (La Casita de San Telmo) , including breakfast, double occupancy. http://www.lacasitadesantelmo.com/english/casita.htm
3. Welcome dinner in an Argentine "restaurant parrilla" (grilled meat).
4. City Tour.
5. Eight private group classes (milonguero, salon) with excellent teachers.
6. Nightly milongas at the best milongas and dance clubs.
7. Dinner show night at one of the best tango show houses in Buenos Aires: "La Esquina de Carlos Gardel" Transfers in/out. Attend a world-class tango show at a traditional restaurant, taste a delicious meal as you watch a superb spectacle. The incredible skills of the dancers, the fantastic atmosphere, excellent cuisine and flawless service make an experience you won't forget.
8. A day in the country with "fiesta gaucha", "asado criollo" (barbecue), singing, dancing, "gaucho show", country activities such as riding horses and more. Transfers in/out.
9. Guided visit to the unique Teatro Colón. Visit to Café Tortoni for tea. (Drinks not included)
10. Guided visit to Recoleta Cemetery and Del Pilar Church, Walking tour in Buenos Aires Design. Visit tomb of Eva Perón, heroine of Argentine history whose presence in this cemetery still is rejected by the upper classes. (We will finish in Buenos Aires Design, the first and unique thematic mall completely dedicated to design, construction, equipment and indoor home decoration, a block from Recoleta Cemetery.)
11. Guided shopping for tango souvenirs, shoes and clothes.
12. Farewell Dinner at a nice typical restaurant.